The Homeschool Literati BY Krystal Clarke

I can’t believe I have spent ten years of my life homeschooling. It’s been quite a journey. The homeschooling lifestyle has given our family so much freedom and opportunity–to make our own schedule, to learn the way that makes sense for us, to bond as a family. And boy, have we had our ups and downs. We’ve changed curricula, tried brick and mortar school, skipped forward grades, and repeated grades. We’ve had periods of total breakdown where we’ve had to just relax on the academics for a few weeks. We’ve weathered hundreds of kid and tantrums and mama tantrums (please tell me I am not the only one who has those). But one thing that has been consistent through it all is our love for reading. 

From the preschooler days when the little ones flipped through books, making up the words, to car rides and late nights spent obsessing over a favorite series, I have so many great memories of us reading our way through these homeschool years. I am confident that for all I have gotten and continue to get wrong with homeschooling, reading and instilling in my children a love for the written word is something I have definitely gotten right. 

So I wanted to create this space for us and for you, the homeschool literati. “Literati” is really just a fancy word for people who love literature–reading, writing, and studying it. And that’s us. We love poetry, classics, popular novels, short stories. We try our hand at writing. Sometimes it’s pretty good. Sometimes it’s…a process. But I think it is important to remember that school is not the only place to read and write. There are plenty of well-read homeschoolers out there who love the written word. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Black People Camp? BY: Grovena Haywood-Duke RN, BSN, MSN